Surgery after pacu bites toddler

64fe2ed4-350c-4b50-9dcd-b0bb4ba3c0ce

Editor's Picks
Features Post
What caused this snail die-off?
04 January 2022
Fishkeeping News Post
Nanochromis transvestitus
04 January 2022
Features Post
How do I feed these tricky gobies?
04 January 2022
Features Post
Should I add sand for my Rams?
04 January 2022
Features Post
How to set up your Christmas tank
20 December 2021


An 18-month old girl has had surgey on her finger after it was bitten by a pacu - a type of herbivorous piranha.

According to The Scotsman, the girl was bitten at the Edinburgh Butterfly and Insect World at Dobbies Garden World last week, and the fish was still attached to her finger when she pulled it out of the water.

The girl was taken to the Royal Hospital for Sick Children where she had plastic surgery to repair the finger.

James Barnes, the Managing Director of the centre told The Scotsman: "We have around 13,000 children visiting the centre every year and this is the first time we have had an incident like this.

"The tank is raised almost a metre from the ground and we are very careful about safety, but obviously we will need to see how this incident happened, especially to such a small child, and what we need to do to prevent it happening again.

"The tank has been closed off, and I am keeping in touch with the family to let them know what we are doing."