A five-year-old boy, who was on on a family holiday in Thailand, died after being stung by a Box jellyfish at the weekend.
The death of the boy, who came from France, has resulted in authorities in Koh Phangan urging tourists to take care when swimming and asking hotels and resorts to prepare emergency first aid kits in case visitors come into contact with the Box jellyfish, which are among the world's most deadly creatures.
While Box jellyfish stings are rare, they can be fatal — and the trailing tentacles can measure 2m or more in length. The Bangkok Post reports that the boy became entangled in the tentacles of the jellyfish and went into shock after he was stung. He died on the way to hospital for treatment.
Why not take out a subscription to Practical Fishkeeping magazine? See our latest subscription offer.
Don't forget that PFK is now available to download on the iPad/iPhone.