Fireman breaks ankle saving goldfish from blaze

4ae3d737-8b40-4de1-952e-8781d839549f

Editor's Picks
Features Post
What caused this snail die-off?
04 January 2022
Fishkeeping News Post
Nanochromis transvestitus
04 January 2022
Features Post
How do I feed these tricky gobies?
04 January 2022
Features Post
Should I add sand for my Rams?
04 January 2022
Features Post
How to set up your Christmas tank
20 December 2021


A Surrey fireman tripped and broke his ankle while saving three goldfish during a fire in New Malden.

Around 20 firefighters tackled the blaze, which had been spotted by a postman on Monday morning.

While the team doused the flames, the plucky fireman went into the first floor flat to rescue the fish, but on his way out he fell over a shoe in the thick smoke. Colleagues went to his aid and managed to prevent the fish from spilling out of the bowl.

The three women who live at the flat were at work at the time of the fire, which was started by an electrical fault and caused damage to the whole flat. But they were said to be delighted that their goldfish had been saved from being boiled alive.

The fireman was treated at Kingston hospital.

Why not take out a subscription to Practical Fishkeeping magazine? See our latest subscription offer.