Youth dies after swallowing fish in freak accident

a4471529-c629-4609-8bbc-ae5ab453d92f

Editor's Picks
 A perfect place for your Fighter to rest his little fins — the Betta Bed Leaf Hammock.
Gear Post
Review: Betta Bed Leaf Hammock
21 November 2017
 Just look at that little face... No wonder then, that so many fishkeepers find these little puffers so hard to resist.
Features Post
Join the puffer fish fan club!
28 September 2017
 Special care needs to be taken when catching Pictus catfish and other species with spines.
Features Post
Travels with your fish
03 August 2017


A youth died in India after a fish swam into his mouth and lodged in his pharynx.

The accident happened in South Tripura on Thursday when 21-year-old Shahid Mian, from Hirapur village in Udaipur, was bathing in a pond, reports The Times of India.

Realising something was wrong, local residents went to his aid and on pulling him from the water they noticed blood coming from his mouth. On closer inspection they could see the tail of a fish moving about.

Despite efforts to save him, Shahid died before surgeons could remove the fish. According to reports his respiratory and digestive systems had been seriously injured and his death was the result of heavy bleeding.

Why not take out a subscription to Practical Fishkeeping magazine? See our latest subscription offer.

Don't forget that PFK is now available to download on the iPad/iPhone.