Strange fish tale 3: Shocking death of worm collector

737aaebc-574d-43be-870f-dee52298f374

Editor's Picks
 A perfect place for your Fighter to rest his little fins — the Betta Bed Leaf Hammock.
Gear Post
Review: Betta Bed Leaf Hammock
21 November 2017
 Just look at that little face... No wonder then, that so many fishkeepers find these little puffers so hard to resist.
Features Post
Join the puffer fish fan club!
28 September 2017
 Special care needs to be taken when catching Pictus catfish and other species with spines.
Features Post
Travels with your fish
03 August 2017

Our trawl through the archives this week reveals a fishkeeper who was killed while hunting earthworms to use as fish food.

Joann Altheimer of Little Sioux, Iowa, was electrocuted by a home-made electrical device used to shock earthworms.

The device works rather like the electrofishing equipment used by fisheries scientists.

An electrical charge is applied to the ground for a short period and the worms rise to the surface in an attempt to escape, allowing them to be collected very easily.

Altheimer had reportedly soaked her garden with a hose before going out with her electrical worm shocker.

The Omaha Channel said that Altheimer had a number of large fish and needed to collect some worms to feed them.

The Harrison County Sheriff's Office, which took away Altheimer's worm shocker, told Zwire: "I definitely wouldn't use anything with electricity to collect worms."

Please don't try this at home.

Why not take out a subscription to Practical Fishkeeping magazine? See our latest subscription offer.