Shocking deaths of worm shockers

05f5df9a-f581-41b7-95f4-bfb6232b1d82

Editor's Picks
Features Post
What caused this snail die-off?
04 January 2022
Fishkeeping News Post
Nanochromis transvestitus
04 January 2022
Features Post
How do I feed these tricky gobies?
04 January 2022
Features Post
Should I add sand for my Rams?
04 January 2022
Features Post
How to set up your Christmas tank
20 December 2021


Two people have been electrocuted by home-made electrical devices used to shock earthworms.

Fishkeeper Joann Altheimer of Little Sioux, Iowa, was killed using a worm shocker in her back garden, while five year old Jacob Hill died the day before after plugging in a similar device.

The worm shocking devices work rather like the electrofishing equipment used by fisheries scientists.

An electrical charge is applied to the ground for a short period and the worms rise to the surface in an attempt to escape, allowing them to be collecting very easily.

Altheimer had reportedly soaked her garden with a hose before going out with her electrical worm shocker.

The Omaha Channel says that Altheimer had a number of large fish and needed to collect some worms to feed them.

The Harrison County Sherrif's Office, who now has Altheimer's worm shocker, told Zwire: "I definitely wouldn't use anything with electricity to collect worms."

Please don't try this at home.