Retailer praises fire service for saving his fish

bae50033-ee9a-44a9-8656-bb16ee8ba550

Editor's Picks
 A perfect place for your Fighter to rest his little fins — the Betta Bed Leaf Hammock.
Gear Post
Review: Betta Bed Leaf Hammock
21 November 2017
 Just look at that little face... No wonder then, that so many fishkeepers find these little puffers so hard to resist.
Features Post
Join the puffer fish fan club!
28 September 2017
 Special care needs to be taken when catching Pictus catfish and other species with spines.
Features Post
Travels with your fish
03 August 2017


The owner of a Leicester aquatic store has praised the fire brigade for its quick response after a blaze in a neighbour's garden spread to his shop.

Firefighters were called to the scene after local residents reported two conifers ablaze in the back garden of the house next to Clearwater Aquatics on Sunday, shortly after the shop opened for business. The fire quickly spread to the exterior of the shop, and flames are reported to have reached a height of 50ft.

Yoosaf Abdulla, who has run the store on Green Lane Road for 20 years, feared for his marine room (pictured above), which is situated at the rear of the shop and houses hundreds of fish and corals.

Fortunately the blaze was brought under control, resulting in only minimal fire and smoke damage to the inside of the shop.

Mr Abdulla told the Leicester Mercury: "I really can’t thank the fire brigade enough, this could have been a right mess. This is my livelihood so of course I was scared — I thought I would lose everything for one moment.

"But the fire service were here so quickly they managed to save my business."

The marine room is now open as normal.