Men hospitalised after eating testicles

016cb83c-625a-4519-a3c8-d693d1ec8ee5

Editor's Picks
Features Post
The brightest pupils
04 October 2021
Features Post
Dealing with egg ‘fungus’
04 October 2021
Features Post
Rathbun’s tetra in the wild
13 September 2021
Fishkeeping News Post
Report: 2021 BKKS National Koi Show results
13 September 2021
Features Post
The World's forgotten fishes
16 August 2021


Seven elderly men in the Japanese town of Tsuruoka (350 km north of Tokyo) were hospitalised with tetrodotoxin poisoning after consuming raw puffer and grilled puffer testicles.

The seven men, aged 55"69, were public welfare volunteers and a town head partying in an upscale restaurant after a public welfare meeting, according to a Tsuruoka police spokesperson.

They complained of numbness in the hands and legs - classic signs of tetrodotoxin poisoning - after consuming the fish prepared by an unauthorized chef.

The restaurant, "Kibunya," was unlicensed to prepare and serve puffer, a delicacy in Japan known as fugu, and owner Iwao Aizawa, was being questioned by police on the suspicion of professional negligence resulting in injuries.

Aizawa had offered the victims the fugu as off-the-menu specials for the winter season.