Man airlifted to hospital following fish sting

4086b8ff-0894-421a-bbb4-1fedffbc30e2

Editor's Picks
Features Post
The brightest pupils
04 October 2021
Features Post
Dealing with egg ‘fungus’
04 October 2021
Features Post
Rathbun’s tetra in the wild
13 September 2021
Fishkeeping News Post
Report: 2021 BKKS National Koi Show results
13 September 2021
Features Post
The World's forgotten fishes
16 August 2021

A pensioner had to be transported to hospital by air after he was stung by a weever fish he picked up on a beach in North Wales.

The 70-year-old man discovered the small, sandy-coloured fish in the shallows in Trefor on the Llyn Peninsula at the weekend. He picked it up and was stung on the hand by the fish’s spines. After he began to struggle to breathe, the coastguard raised the alarm and an air ambulance took him to hospital.

Weever fish are often found around the British coast during the summer. They tend to bury themselves in sand and most stings occur on the feet when unsuspecting beachgoers tread on the venomous dorsal spine protruding from the sea bed. Although the sting is incredibly painful, it’s not usually life threatening unless the person involved suffers an allergic reaction.

Why not take out a subscription to Practical Fishkeeping magazine? See 

our latest subscription offer.

Don't forget PFK is also available in digital format. 

Click here

for more information on the iPad or iPhone version.

Alternatively, 

click here

 for details of the Android version.