Live Koi removed from teenager's stomach

f420db39-d4bc-42d8-9182-8e0f6e64d7e8

Editor's Picks
Features Post
The brightest pupils
04 October 2021
Features Post
Dealing with egg ‘fungus’
04 October 2021
Features Post
Rathbun’s tetra in the wild
13 September 2021
Fishkeeping News Post
Report: 2021 BKKS National Koi Show results
13 September 2021
Features Post
The World's forgotten fishes
16 August 2021


A teenager was rushed to hospital at the weekend after accidentally swallowing a live Koi.

The 14-year-old boy, from Garbeta in West Bengal, India, was catching fish when one of the Koi jumped out of the water and went into his mouth. Unfortunately he was so startled by the incident that he swallowed the fish, according to a report in The Times of India.

He was rushed to hospital the following morning, suffering from severe abdominal pains. An ultrasound scan revealed the fish lodged in the boy's stomach, where it was reported to still be alive.

The Koi was removed during an emergency operation and the boy is said to be recovering well.

Why not take out a subscription to Practical Fishkeeping magazine? See our latest subscription offer.

Don't forget that PFK is now available to download on the iPad/iPhone.