Boy chokes on pet fish

eefc10f7-f169-450f-9ecc-1347d65c31d9

Editor's Picks
Features Post
The brightest pupils
04 October 2021
Features Post
Dealing with egg ‘fungus’
04 October 2021
Features Post
Rathbun’s tetra in the wild
13 September 2021
Fishkeeping News Post
Report: 2021 BKKS National Koi Show results
13 September 2021
Features Post
The World's forgotten fishes
16 August 2021


A four-year-old boy nearly choked to death after a pet Climbing perch jumped into his mouth and became stuck.

Muhammad Akhif Danish Shamsuri had apparently been holding the fish in his hand when it suddenly leapt into his mouth.

His father Shamsuri Shafie told Kosmo!: "My brother managed to catch its tail, preventing it from getting into his throat."

The 3cm wide fish became lodged in the boy's mouth, with just the tail protruding.

His father said that he was in pain for four hours before the fish was finally removed. "My son's mouth was bleeding from being cut by the fish's thorns," said Shamsuri.

The boy was taken to a local hospital before being transferred to the main hospital in Kota Baru, Malaysia where doctors anaesthetised him and removed the fish.

His grandfather Ismail Ibrahim, who owned the pet fish, said Muhammad Akhif was fond of the perch.

"He would rush to see the fish every time he came to my house," he said.

Why not take out a subscription to Practical Fishkeeping magazine? See our latest subscription offer.