Angler electrocutes himself with home-made fishing gear

5c964dff-e91a-4769-8e7e-ce54dbf455cf

Editor's Picks
 A perfect place for your Fighter to rest his little fins — the Betta Bed Leaf Hammock.
Gear Post
Review: Betta Bed Leaf Hammock
21 November 2017
 Just look at that little face... No wonder then, that so many fishkeepers find these little puffers so hard to resist.
Features Post
Join the puffer fish fan club!
28 September 2017
 Special care needs to be taken when catching Pictus catfish and other species with spines.
Features Post
Travels with your fish
03 August 2017

A man has been killed while illegally electro-fishing in China using equipment he had made at home.

The 47-year-old angler had reportedly strapped a rechargeable battery with electrical cables to his body and was using his bamboo fishing rod as a conductor when the accident happened at a pond in Suzhou, Anhui Province, on June 22.

He was found lying in a pool of water next to the pond. Despite attempts to resuscitate him, the man was pronounced dead at the scene, reports the Daily Mail.

Authorities have yet to determine whether the reason for the fisherman's death was due to malfunction of the equipment or human error. 

It is illegal to electrofish in China using unauthorised equipment.