Live Koi removed from teenager's stomach


A teenager was rushed to hospital at the weekend after accidentally swallowing a live Koi.

The 14-year-old boy, from Garbeta in West Bengal, India, was catching fish when one of the Koi jumped out of the water and went into his mouth. Unfortunately he was so startled by the incident that he swallowed the fish, according to a report in The Times of India.

He was rushed to hospital the following morning, suffering from severe abdominal pains. An ultrasound scan revealed the fish lodged in the boy's stomach, where it was reported to still be alive.

The Koi was removed during an emergency operation and the boy is said to be recovering well.

Why not take out a subscription to Practical Fishkeeping magazine? See our latest subscription offer.

Don't forget that PFK is now available to download on the iPad/iPhone.