Shocking deaths of worm shockers


Two people have been electrocuted by home-made electrical devices used to shock earthworms.

Fishkeeper Joann Altheimer of Little Sioux, Iowa, was killed using a worm shocker in her back garden, while five year old Jacob Hill died the day before after plugging in a similar device.

The worm shocking devices work rather like the electrofishing equipment used by fisheries scientists.

An electrical charge is applied to the ground for a short period and the worms rise to the surface in an attempt to escape, allowing them to be collecting very easily.

Altheimer had reportedly soaked her garden with a hose before going out with her electrical worm shocker.

The Omaha Channel says that Altheimer had a number of large fish and needed to collect some worms to feed them.

The Harrison County Sherrif\'s Office, who now has Altheimer\'s worm shocker, told Zwire: \"I definitely wouldn\'t use anything with electricity to collect worms.\"

Please don\'t try this at home.